If you have instigated a personal injury claim, then there will be a point person for the other party whom you will be dealing with during the claim. This point person is known as an adjuster, and there are different forms of adjusters; here are the most common ones:

Adjusters Employed By Insurance Companies                                                                             

Most insurance companies have claims adjusters that work exclusively for them. These adjusters are employed by the insurance companies, and a typical insurance company often has adjusters working in different places where they have businesses. Therefore, when you submit a claim to an insurance company, it will hand over the issue to the local office handling operations in your area. This is the person who has the authority to negotiate, deny or accept your demand.

Independent Claims Adjusters

An independent claims adjuster doesn't work for an insurance company; they are independent just like the name suggest. This means they can work with any insurance company that gives them work. Insurance companies often resort to independent claims adjusters if they don't have local offices in an area. This is because it wouldn't make sense for an insurance company to send an adjuster from other offices to handle such claims; the logistics and expenses wouldn't make it worthwhile.

You shouldn't expect any problems just because you are dealing with an independent claims adjuster. This is because the negotiation process will be exactly the same as the one you would have when dealing with the insurance company's in-house adjuster. The only difference you might notice, if you are keen, is that the independent claims adjuster may not have the authority to approve high compensations. This means there might be a slight delay if they have to confirm high payouts with a supervisor at the insurance company.

Government Adjusters

If you have a claim against a large government entity, then you may have to deal with the company directly and negotiate with their in-house claims adjuster. This is because such large government entities typically have their own claims department because they face many claims. Again, the process will just be the same as dealing with a claims adjuster representing an insurance company. Don't just expect to win a lot of money from a government body; they are known for being stingy with money.

Irrespective of the adjuster you are dealing with, you have the right to decline any settlement offer that seems too low for your case. In fact, you should always have it in mind that your case may not settle but proceed to trial, which is why you need to involve a personal injury lawyer in the case as early as possible.